21-Day Own Your Core Challenge
Equipment: 1 Strong Kettlebell or Dumbbell
- Press your hips back, tipping your torso forward as you reach your hands toward the kettlebell handle. Keep your back straight in your hinge with a soft bend in your knees.
- Inhale as you grasp the kettlebell handle firmly with both hands. Roll your shoulders back slightly to help control the momentum of the swing while preventing a forward curve of the spine. Your core is still engaged.
- Exhale and, in one powerful movement, squeeze your glutes and hamstrings as hard as you can to rise to an upright position. During this part of the exercise, make sure the hips do not extend past your shoulders and allow the kettlebell to swing forward as high as it will naturally go, which is usually around shoulder height.
Inhale and swing the kettlebell back towards your butt and above your knees. Allow the weight to swing between your legs while keeping your neck aligned with your spine.
- Continue the kettlebell swings, remembering to keep your torso straight and to power the movement with your hips and glutes.
- To end the movement, reduce the power you use with each swing until you can comfortably and safely return the kettlebell to the floor.
Up Next in Week 3 Day 6
- Begin in a kneeling position. Bend your elbows to 90 degrees and pitch forward to place your hands and forearms on the floor.
- Extend your legs behind you with toes tucked under to press into the plank. Distribute weight in your hands evenly by spreading...